Eli-Lilly attempted a series of Innovation Days based on Atlassian's Fed-Ex Day (see Atlassian's FAQ). It is effectively the full day analog of Google's 20% Time. (Further thinking from Brad Power.)
The recipe for an Innovation Day
- A very small organizing team
- Sharepoint site setup for project submission
- Projects evaluated by a small senior scientific team
- Team members choose their projects
- Make the day fun!
- Readout day afterward
Some master tips from their three attempts at an iDay
- A little preparation is necessary
- Area management must be participating
- Make it fun!
- Readout days are tough and long, but worth it
- Do it again
- Prototype to see what works for you
- Get feedback surveys to help you perfect it
- Beer and wine add to the fun!
Orin C. Davis is the first person to earn a doctorate in positive psychology. His research focuses on flow, creativity, hypnosis, and mentoring, and it spans both the workplace and daily life. He is the principal investigator of the Quality of Life Laboratory and a freelance consultant who helps companies maximize their human capital and become better places to work.